Monday 11 June 2012

The end is nigh

So it's been a while again since I posted, too much revision (and crafting, more on that in a minute)!

I have 2 exams left!!!! Only 2!!!!! The end is nigh! I can't wait to be done with them, alas I only have 2 days between ending exams and starting work full time for the summer, oh the joys of being a penniless student! Plus I've just had to say goodbye to my housemate Betti and her boyfriend Oli as they start an 11 week adventure across Europe. Jammy beasts. Ah well, a week in Berlin is headed my way, where I will be meeting up with said Betti and Oli for a few jaunts so that will be most fun.

This week I have been mostly revising, as above, and busying my idle fingers with crafting, in the form of cross stitch and I LOVE IT! I rang my grandma mid-week and asked if she had any rings I could borrow (the frames you use to make it easier to sew) and she said she'd have a look and pop round the next day. She popped round armed with a bagful of cross stitch goodies, loads of kits, patterns, silks, needles - it was like cross stitch Christmas. So, as I was at Michael's this weekend I had to watch football and lots of it, 2 matches a day (with the end of the Premier League I thought I would have a football free summer, unforch this seems not to be the case) so I decided to keep myself sane by doing cross stitch at the same time. It's quite old fashioned I suppose  but it is so enjoyable to make, and as Michael said, it just looks really nice and neat and proper when it's complete. At the moment I'm very nearly finished with my first proper piece, I used a kit to make a needle case - an essential and a sensible place to start, I thought. I've finished all the actual cross stitch, now I just need to make it look like a needle case (for which I very much need my grandma's assistance). A kit consists of a piece of aida, the necessary threads, a needle and a tassel! This kit was for counted cross stitch, which takes some time, especially when you have a row of 45 stitches - I was getting very cross-eyed. It has taken me a good few hours to do, I will post a picture of it when it's finished. It is a very old fashioned design, the kit coming from a company with 'Victorian' in the name would suggest as much (I can't remember the name but will put it up when I have a picture of the completed item). I am also in the middle of making a birthday piece for Betti, but shh, she doesn't know and I hope to goodness she doesn't read this blog between now and the 27th!

Yesterday, while I was cross stitching, Michael skyped his mum in Perth for a catch up. Mid skype his sister and her fiance popped in and it made me super excited for Australia! I've probs mentioned this before but Michael and I are going to Australia in September for another wedding, last time is was Michael's brother, this time it's his sister and I cannot WAIT! I'm very excited and also very excited that I'm working full time this summer so I will, hopefully, have some money left over after all my wretched bills are paid, to buy some lovely bits and pieces to take down under with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments more than welcome :]